Bring Canada’s national historic sites and the best of Canadian heritage cooking into your home with the Parks Canada Heritage Gourmet food app. Embark on a culinary journey through Canada’s rich history and across Canada’s vast territory by trying out the recipes – which have been updated for modern cooks – and reading the stories in this app.
- Available in French and English
- Choose from over 70 recipes, each with a stunning photograph of the finished dish.
- Browse recipes from the 18th century to today, representing all of Canada’s regions.
- Enjoy traditional recipes that have been chef-tested and modified for today’s cooks, with both imperial and metric measures.
- Search or browse by ingredient, course, menu, period or region.
- The app is self-contained – no internet connection is required after the initial download and periodic updates.
- Save recipes to your personal recipe collection.
- Add ingredients to your Shopping List to bring with you to the grocery store.
- Email recipes to friends and family.
- Cook traditional favourites like Acadan Bouilli, West Coast Finnan Haddie and Newfoundland’s Jiggs Dinner.
- Enjoy national historic site tried-and-true favourites like the Fortress of Louisbourg’s French Soldier’s Bread, Woodside’s Marmalade or Lower Fort Garry’s famous Corn Bread
- Try out recipes like Bannock, Luski and Sourdough Flapjacks that were originally cooked over an outdoor fire.
- Cook an entire meal using one of the menus.
- Learn a story about each recipe – tell your dinner guests or family which notable Canadian enjoyed a particular dish, how a dish got its name or which 18th century cookbook a recipe first came from.
- Watch a behind-the-scenes video of the chefs and photographers at work.
- See a video of chefs creating an 18th century dessert using today’s ingredients.
- Find out about the national historic site of Canada that submitted the recipe and start to plan your next culinary adventure.